Vaginal atrophy Common problem for women during and after menstrual cycles or menopausal. Thinning and inflammation of vaginal walls due to a decline of estrogen.
Vaginal atrophy Symptoms
- Itching around the opening and the lower part of the vagina
- Pain or light bleed with intercourse
- Urinary tract infection
- Discomfort with intercourse
- Shortening and tightening of the vaginal course
- drop in estrogen levels takes place
- After menopause
- After surgical removal of both the ovaries
- After pelvic radiation therapy
- After chemotherapy for cancer
- During breast feeding
- No vaginal births
- No sexual activity
- Vaginal infections
- Urinary problems
Test and diagnosis
- Pelvic exam
- Urine test
- Acid balance test : this test involves taking a sample of vaginal fluids
Treatment and drugs : any medication that is taken for this disease should be taken under the prescription of doctor
- Try using the vaginal moisturizer than lubricant because vaginal moisture restores some moisture to your vaginal area.
- Use a water based lubricant , which don’t contain glycerin because some women may undergo burning and irritation.
Life style modifications and home remedies
- Regular sexual activity , either with or without a partner may help to prevent vaginal atrophy.
- Sexual activity prevents blood flow which helps keeping vaginal tissue healthy.
To know more about Vaginal Infections and how to get rid of them, Visit our home page for more information.